Friday, January 23, 2009

Bigelow Laboratory for Ocean Sciences

Yesterday and today I created a Facebook group for where I work - Bigelow Laboratory for Ocean Sciences. I have nine members already. I think the place where I work is really cool, and that everyone else will think the same thing. So far most of the people who have joined are Bigelow employees, but I hope my family and many others who happen upon in will also join.

People at Bigelow are doing all sorts of interesting things. For example, there are several scientists who travel to the southern Atlantic each year to study phytoplankton, bacteria, and the effect cycling of ion concentrations may have on marine life. Phytoplankton are microscopic organisms that phtosynthesize and produce the majority of all the oxygen in the atmosphere. As far as ions go, the oceans are becoming measurably more acidic. This makes the water somewhat toxic to marine life - not good. I research the genetics of molecular adaptation in a variety of organisms. Right now I am writing proposals to study oysters, lobsters and bacteria, and another to study the mathematics of adaptation. I hope at least one of these proposals are successfully funded.

The Bigelow website may be found at:
http://www.bigelow.org/index.php.

No comments:

Post a Comment